Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Probably Not A Popular Post

*I wrote this post a few weeks ago, but I was so emotionally charged I wanted to wait until I could re-read it with a calm mind.  Nothing in my opinion has changed, so I'm posting it.

Guns.  Gun control.  Joe Biden.  Barack Hussein Obama.  I am SO disgusted by our "Commander In Chief."

Before I continue, let me make one thing very clear:  what happened at Sandy Hook was the most tragic, devastating event that could possibly happen at an elementary school.  Anywhere for that matter.  I grieve with the parents, sisters, brothers, and friends of the people who lost their lives there.  It was horrific. There is NOTHING I wouldn't do to be able to change what happened.

Wednesday, Obama held a press conference regarding the Sandy Hook tragedy and gun control.  In the audience were parents and family members of some of the victims.  On STAGE were 4 children who had written letters to the president about "wanting to be safe" and  being "worried about their siblings in school." (Which I think is both precious and gut-wrenching at the same time.)

As he quoted each child's letter, he asked them to wave.  Each child was a different ethnicity.  And after he mentioned all these darling children, and their letters, he said that it was "our number one priority to ensure the safety of our children."

Really.  This from a man who said about his own children: "I have two precious daughters - they are miracles... Look, I got two daughters - 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first about values and morals, {not sure how you can teach something you don't understand...} but if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby. I don't want them punished with an STD at age 16, so it doesn't make sense to not give them information." {stuff in brackets, mine}
http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Profiles/President/US/Barack_Obama/Views/Abortion/ (emphasis mine)

This same website had this information:  "On January 22, 2012, the White House issued a press statement noting the 39th anniversary of the Roe vs Wade decision. That statement asserts that abortion is a "fundamental constitutional right", and abortion is a private family matter, and that we must ensure that our daughters have the same rights, freedoms, and opportunities as our sons to fulfill their dreams. These statements were heavily criticized by pro-life groups as similar to previous remarks in which a baby was seen as punishment." (emphasis mine)

So he means the safety of children that are OUTSIDE the womb.  M'kay.  Just wanted to clarify.  Since he clearly stated that America's NUMBER ONE priority was the safety of our children.

And then he went on to talk about guns.  I just couldn't help but feel that this was just a dog and pony show.  It was SO staged, SO dramatic, SO "politically correct."  I about wanted to puke.  All the media had to do was put the "halo" lens on.

How dare he use such a horrific incident to make himself look good?!?!  Disgusting!  And I'm surprised I'm the only person calling him on the carpet for it!

Gun control will always be a hot button issue.  People are either for or against, and they probably won't switch sides.  But you know what?  Guns don't kill people.  Sick people kill people.

Instead of all this talk of gun control, how about raising awareness of mental illness?  How about parents actually paying attention the the signs their children are exhibiting?  If Johnny starts wearing all black, buys a trench coat and starts talking about blowing up his school, maybe we ought to take him seriously!   Or at least ask a few questions.  If you look at all the people who have committed past mass shootings, I guarantee 90% or more have or have had some altered mental status.  Normal people do not go into public places and blast people away.

I know this probably will tick a few people off, and I'm okay with that.  I mean, think about it:  How many crimes are committed with guns registered to the offender?  According to Jeffrey A. Roth, criminologist and associate director for research at the University of Pennsylvania's Jerry Lee Center of Criminology. "According to the latest available data, those who use guns in violent crimes rarely purchase them directly from licensed dealers; most guns used in crime have been stolen or transferred between individuals after the original purchase."

So how is "gun control" going to do anything but take guns away from honest citizens who use them to defend themselves?

I guess all I'm saying is that there's so much more to violent crime than the weapon used.  


And that the president should be ashamed of himself for using something as heinous as Sandy Hook to try to make himself look good.  

2 comments:

Robin said...

Completely agree. And you are NOT the only person saying that the President TOTALLY USED THE SANDY HOOK TRAGEDY to further his Gun Control Agenda. Many people are saying it. But, good for you for saying it *again.*

Joanna said...

*claps loudly* You go, girl!

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...