Monday, February 6, 2012

Becoming Real

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." - The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams


I read this on a dear friend's blog.  The eyes and ears of my heart stood at attention.  It's like God whispered right to me, as I read this, that sometimes, it takes losing your hair, or getting your joints messed up, or getting sick, or having to live in pain, or with a trach.... to become REAL.


I'm telling you I am not the same person I was before this disease.  I am Real now.  I don't mince words.  I don't flatter people if I don't mean it.  I don't freak out about the little things in life that aren't going to matter a week from now let alone a year from now.


I value life.  I value friendships.  I love more deeply.  I love more freely.  I trust much.  Maybe too much.  But I'd rather be that way than all skeptical and critical inside.


Sometimes it takes getting a little shabby, having your "hair loved off", and going through the wringer of life's washing machine a time or two to become real.  

' "Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful.' "-The Velveteen Rabbit


And it does hurt.  But once you are Real, you don't want to go back, even though you may face further pain.  Because it's so much better to be Real.  And "once you are REAL, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

And ya know what? There will always be people who don't understand.  And that's okay.  Because ugly is on the INSIDE, and Real is through and through.  And Real is better, because Real doesn't happen to people who are easily broken.  

Real is strong.  And I am Real.

4 comments:

Venessa said...

Absolutely beautiful and totally "Real" ~ that's THIS post AND the woman who wrote it!

Unknown said...

This post is why I love you, although we've never met :) You don't lose sight of the big picture, of what's REAL, even with all you deal with on a daily basis. You are truly blessed, and I'm so glad you share posts like this so that others can share in your blessings and grow in their understanding of the people around them. Thank you, Kerri!

Rachel said...

The Velveteen Rabbit has always been on of my favorite stories...he's beautiful with ALL his worn spots, but the love in his heart shines through...Some days it's so very hard to be real, but with encouragement from those that LOVE us we are ALWAYS beautiful!Thanks for the pick me up today, i'm feeling a little too "real" lately.

Pitterle Postings said...

I love your take on this Kerri!! I think we need to make you a plaque or something with this quote on it. There is just something about becoming real that puts it all in perspective. Love you Kerri.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...