Saturday, March 12, 2011

True Love

This story is so close to my heart. When Doug and I had been married only 6 weeks, I went into the hospital, and no one knew if I would live. Nor did they know if I did live what quality of life would be possible for me. Doug stuck by me. He could have just said, "I didn't sign up for this." But he is a man of integrity. He is a man who honored his vows, for better or worse, in sickness and in health.

Today many people view marriage like a paper plate. Disposable. Can always get more when you're done with this one. If it doesn't work, just throw it away. If it's not quite the quality you expected, just dump it. Doesn't cost much.

That's the problem. To many people, marriage doesn't cost much. It should. It should cost all you have. Did you know that 75% of marriages where one partner is chronically ill end in divorce? Three out of four. Please read the words of Chris's song.

And please live them. Say what you mean, and MEAN WHAT YOU SAY.

What Are Words by Chris Medina


Anywhere you are, I am near
Anywhere you go, I'll be there
Anytime you whisper my name, you'll see
How every single promise I'll keep
Cuz what kind of guy would I be
If I was to leave when you need me most

What are words
If you really don't mean them
When you say them
What are words
If they're only for good times
Then they don't
When it's love
Yeah, you say them out loud
Those words they never go away
They live on, even when we're gone

And I know an angel would say
Just from me and now know I'm meant
To be where I am and I'm gonna be
Standing right beside her tonight
And I'm gonna be by your side
I would never leave when she needs me most

What are words
If you really don't mean them
When you say them
What are words
If they're only for good times
Then they don't
When it's love
Yeah, you say them out loud
Those words, They never go away
They live on, even when we're gone

Anywhere you are, I am near
Anywhere you go, I'll be there
And I'm gonna be here forever more
Every single promise I'll keep
Cuz what kind of guy would I be
If I was to leave when you need me most

I'm forever keeping my angel close

2 comments:

Trace-n-the-Grace said...

Kerri,
Really liked this post. A good husband is a good thing. Mine always says, "a good marriage is made of two unselfish people." :-)

Karen Mortensen said...

Amen. Love this post. I liked how you described marriage as a paper plate in some people's eyes. that is so true. People seem to give up too easily.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...