Monday, March 21, 2011

Thinking Out Loud

You know how Black Friday is like the craziest day of the year as far as people go, pushing and shoving and trampling people (which I will NEVER understand). I imagine big concerts and stuff can be a little scary that way too, but I avoid crowds at all costs. Partly because of the germ factor, but a lot of it has to do with crowd control. Or rather, lack thereof!

I don't like to wait in line. However, I think that if there were some kind of stanchions in place, like velvet ropes or even those bars that have retractable belts, then it's more orderly, and people who truly are first in line can get through the door first. I mean, if they can do that at fancy nightclubs on TV to keep out the riff-raff they should be able to use them when it's really a safety factor, don't you think?

I remember going to a professional hockey game once, and we were herded through some kind of barricade that reminded me of a cattle shoot. The point is, it worked. It was total crowd control. I think more public places need this kind of stuff. They could find appropriate barricades that don't have to be menacing, (or cattle-like in any way), and even use it as advertising.

Just a thought. Now I feel like going shopping!

2 comments:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I feel the same with crowds!

Pitterle Postings said...

I really hate crowds and do all my black Friday shopping online. It beats being pushed and shoved and having things grabbed out of my hands.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...