Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Frustration

If I were single (with Jacob), I could get help. (Most likely).

If I were on welfare, I could get help.

If I were 60, I could get a home health aide.

If I were on MedicAID I could get help.

But because I'm married, I'm "only" 40, even though I'm on disability because I CAN'T work (I've tried to go back since being diagnosed), and was forced by insurance to go on MediCARE, I cannot get help. I can barely take care of myself and my son, but no, I don't need assistance...I'm only 40! A spring chick! You have to be at least 60 to be sick or weak enough for help.

How perfectly logical! Let's pick a random age, and no matter what, if that person is said age they can get a helper. Nevermind the young mom fighting multiple chronic illnesses.

Why is it that some welfare Mama with 4 kids by 3 different men, who is completely healthy, who CAN work but doesn't, (because God forbid she get off her lazy butt or break a manicured nail), can soak the government for money for everything from toothbrushes to lottery tickets and alcohol, to filet mignon and gourmet ice cream, but a woman trying to live her life to the best of her ability WITHOUT asking for help for 10 years, who finally just CAN'T do it alone anymore....she can't get squat?

Tell ya what, just give me back the tax money I'm paying to let Badelia Marie keep squirting out kids. I'll use that to pay for my own help.

Ya, I know. The world is broken. Life is unfair. Well, Boo hoo. Tell me something I don't know. I know that SOME people who are on welfare need it. And I'm good with that. But when I see people on it because they are lazy or because they're being rewarded for living a scandalous lifestyle, that really ticks me off.

Whatever. Time to go do a breathing treatment. I'll settle down eventually.

8 comments:

Dogmom Diva said...

Kerri, I feel your pain and frustration. I am much older than you and I have been jumping (not literally) through hoops to get social security disability. I worked most of my adult life until this Fibro worked it's nasty self into my body, and I have a hearing in a couple weeks after fighting this for two years..I also see folks who are on welfare or disability who in my humble opinion could work. I would work if I could. So yeah, I can sing the same tune as you..I wish us both good luck..Hang in there:)

Barb

Anonymous said...

I ditto Barb - Hang in there! I think you are pretty awesome, and would totally give you a home-aid if I could. My grandpa used to have one and she was awesome - just keeping him company even when she was pretty much done everywhere else in the house.

Joanna said...

Well that stinks! Can't say as I'm surprised. Ugh and double ugh!

Renee said...

We had to jump through a lot of hoops to get a part-time aid for my mom. A kind lady from the county stepped in to help us. Fortunately for us, my mom sold her house many years ago.

Once they realized this isn't her house, we did much better in their eyes. But if she'd still been a homeowner (no matter that she'd had that tiny house for a gazillion years and paid little tax on it), they would have thought her too "rich" for any aid.

And they eventually believed me that some days I work longer hours and can't be here. I must admit that after being under scrutiny, I wondered how folks around me get away with what they claim. I guess for us it takes God's guidance to know when to pray and wait and when to speak out. Praying God brings a kind lady your way!

Pitterle Postings said...

Kerri, I am so sorry. I know it is difficult, and I have often wondered the same things myself. Make sure you don't just take the first no as the answer. If there is one thing I have learned from others who are going through similar ordeals, you have to stick with with it for a few times if you want to get accepted. Talk with your doctors and also people from your church for help and guidance. They might know what direction to lead you in. I really hope you can find some help. Even if it is just part time, once in a while. Talk to the organization for your disease. They often have ideas for people to get help. I hope you find what you need and I hope that you start feeling better.

Rachel said...

It's a terrible situation so many people find themselves in. All most people need is a little hand up. But sadly, if you own your home, or have a working spouse that seems to work against you. All you can do is continue to fight for what you need.

You've been a fighter for so long, keep it up!!!

Pam said...

Keri, I am so sorry, I totally think it sinks! I understand why you are so frustrated, since I am not able to work either/ I cannot get assitance either. I did not work long enough to get Social security...I was a stay at home mom who took care of my children so my hubby could work the hours he did...any way...it stinks! life sucks. but do not give up. There are ways to be creative to get help... I am praying for you..love you lots

Kerri said...

Thanks you guys....it means a LOT to have encouragement and support. I know I'm not the only one with struggles! Good luck in your court battle Barb!

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...