Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sowing in Tears

"Those who sow in tears
will reap with songs of joy.

He who goes out weeping,
carrying seed to sow,
will return with songs of joy,
carrying sheaves with him."
Psalm 126:5-6

Joanna and I are doing a wonderful Bible study on the book of Ruth. There is so much to get out of such a small book of the Bible. Wow. This week, one of the days talked a bit about this passage. I had "discovered" this passage in 2002, while I was still very, very ill, and trying to get used to my new life as a myasthenic with a trach. Quite the adjustment.

What I used to focus on was the tears and joy part. I was like, well, this is a good thing...at least I KNOW that while I'm crying and crying and crying I will have joy sometime in the future.

I TOTALLY missed the point. It's the basic sowing and reaping principle. At its most basic, if you plant corn, you will grow corn. If you plant potatoes, don't expect carrots.

So even though I may be weeping, I still must sow. Even though it hurts, and I'm tired, and lonely sometimes, and sick, and busy, and.....I must sow if I want to reap. This passage is just telling us that even if we are weeping while we sow, we can still reap joy.

And I have just one thing to say to that: Hallelujah. Because if this was all there was....if the weeping never brought joy....

But sow. Take the seed you have, whether it be kindness, prayer, compassion, finances, support (physical, emotional or spiritual), and SOW. Because when you do, the harvest will come, and the harvest will be filled to overflowing with joy.

4 comments:

kc said...

Good lessons. Remember the story of the lady that carried 2 buckets on a shoulder yoke to the well? Filled 'em both up, but one had a hole in it & by the time she got home, it was always dry. One day the bucket asked her why she carried it to the well every day, knowing it would be dry when she arrived home. She very sweetly replied, "haven't you noticed there are flowers all along one side of the road? You water them as I walk and bring joy to the world in your own special way." Soooo, remember, you may be weeping, but with your humor and your strength, you bring joy & sunshine (not to mention, EDUCATION)into a lot of other peoples' lives. .....God Bless!

Unknown said...

I am glad that God is teaching you through His Word

Diana said...

Amen. I always try to sow the seed. I find it easier as I grow older and closer to the Lord each passing year. (My problem is that I have trouble reaping my own joy sometimes.)

New follower... and part of the same SITS tribe (giraffe). So wonderful to meet you! ♥

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

I adore this verse ... I don't know how I haven't heard it before. It's funny how adversity makes us more open to hearing God a little more clearly.

So nice to meet you!

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...