Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Previous Post

So I got a bit of feedback that my post yesterday may have been a bit harsh.

I re-read it. I don't think so. I'm not a bitter, shriveled up woman. I'm just really frustrated and ticked off that so many churches can't get it right.

I met a pastor once (at McDonalds believe it or not) and we got to talking. He invited us to his church...I was asking questions....how big is it, what denomination, what kind of music, etc. Then I asked if they had any kind of protocol in place for the chronically ill. He looked at me, hesitated for a moment, and said, no, we really don't. Kind of like, hmm...hadn't thought of that, not like, Um, oops, no....stutter, stutter.

So I harp on this issue? You'd better believe it. I'll harp on it until the day I die. If it does no good for me in this lifetime, fine. But I may be helping someone out there somewhere who reads this and decides they need to start helping folks out in their church a bit more.

It's not just about ME. It's about chronically ill people everywhere who can't get to church. They don't know someone to pick them up. They can't get out, but want to participate in communion. They didn't ask for what they live with and don't want to be punished for it.

I'm working on some kind of plan, that I could mail to churches, or go and speak to churches about this very vital ministry that is lacking in many places. My mom's church has no problem in this area. The church I grew up in handled it fine. So I know it can be done!

Anyway...I'll get off my soap box for now. But I am working on something to help churches help chronically ill people....I'm not just b!itch!ng about it while I do nothing.

If YOU are chronically ill and have any ideas that would help YOU, PLEASE either email me or leave it in the comments section.

2 comments:

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

I just read your previous post and I don't think you were being harsh at all. Pointing out a fault in something is being helpful, in my opinion.

Cheers :-)
- Rainforest Mommy

Young Wife said...

Keep up the good work! One idea for meals if the ill person lives farther away from the church is to have everyone bring a freezer meal to church on Sunday, and one person drive them all out at once.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...