Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Joy of Pheresis

I'm sitting here trying to think of something nice and encouraging to say...some briliiant, uplifting sentiment to the down-trodden...and I'm coming up with nada. Zilch.

Yesterday was my third plasmapheresis treatment of five. They had needle issues yesterday... seemed like in ALL the patients. This poor guy next to me was having his 2nd or 3rd treatment ever, and his arm looked like an over-ripe banana. He was elderly, and I could hear him say "ouch" every time they tried. I felt horrible for him! When they did get a needle in and running, they had to run the machine at like 45...I usually run between 100 and 120 (which is fast, but that's best for me because it's less time my body is under duress).

Then it's my turn. The left arm (the draw arm), has a wonderful, big, easily accessible vein that has held up like a trooper, thank God. Well, after they jammed the needle it (jamming is actually better than being delicate, trust me)..the nurse bumped it. Holy pain Batman! These needles are like the size of a fork tiene, literally. Then it was backing it out and going in and getting it in the right place. Ug. Normally I've pretty tough, but this time I was already emotional when I got there, and tears were just pouring down my cheeks. Then the nurses feel even worse, and it kind of sets them on edge...It was just not great. Then, almost at the end, the "return" arm, my right arm, blew the vein, so they had to stop the treatment, switch the tubing and make my draw arm the return one! I know, most of you are probably like, huh?!?! Others are going...uh-huh!

But, I suppose I was "due" a not-so-stellar run since they've been going so perfectly.

Have to go back tomorrow for number 4, then next Wednesday for number 5, the last in the series. Hopefully by then we will have information from the insurance company regarding the Rituxan.

So I would appreciate any prayers for a better treatment tomorrow! Thanks...

5 comments:

livinginbetween said...

A prayer said for you. So sorry about your last treatment.

Everyday Kathy said...

Boo hiss! Sorry that didn't go so well... hope the trend is reversed immediately and all goes well!
Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

Jenxr77 said...

Good Gravy Kerri,

You are never due for a bad run, the fact that you have to endure so many treatments so far away is enough. I will certainly keep you in my prayers. Do you travel to and from each day for treatment or stay in a hotel? You helped pull me out of my pity party a bit...I hope and pray that the Rixutan is the answer to your prayers and we both deserve a nice, calm, STRONG summer. Heres to picnics, parks, and pools...not hospitals, needles, and drool (only us mgers will get the drool reference:).
Keep us posted on how you are doing and if you see Dr. Teener tell him I said hello, though he is probably feeling bombarded by me at the moment, too many calls to the nurses line...oh well!
Hugs,
Jen

Joanna said...

Oh man! That is just not cool. I'm a praying.

Margaret said...

I am praying for you. I hope things go well with your treatments and your insurance company lets you get the medication that you need.

Love Changes Everything by Micah Berteau - A Book Review

If you're not familiar with the story of Hosea and Gomer in the Bible, it's really quite shocking.  Here's my brief synopsis...